Monday, March 14, 2016

He is the champion of pi – to 15,000 decimal places by heart – Aftonbladet

Jonas von Essen, 24, was on Saturday, Swedish champion of pi decimals when he lined up 13 208 decimals of four and a half hours. He learned to 15,000 decimal places in less than two months.

– Four years ago, I had only a common memory, says Jonas Aftonbladet.

It is not more than four years ago as Jonas happened to find a book on how to improve their memory. Before that he was a guy with a memory as anyone. But the techniques taught in the book fascinated Jonas and he began memorizing numbers.

– There seemed little extra cool with the right numbers so I started to memorize them. Since I started competing and now I thought that I would try to beat this pi record, it feels prestigious, says Jonas.



“Learned 300 numbers per day”

Pi is a mathematical constant that, among other things, represents the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. The speech is written mostly as 3.14 and in abbreviated form with decimals like 3.1415926536. There are an infinite number of decimal places, but Jonas was content to “just” learning 15,000 of decimals to turn the former Swedish record of 12,345 decimal places.

– I trained in 300 numbers per day almost two months. I read all the 15,000 decimal places but I said the wrong number 13,209 as the record was 13 208. I wanted most to beat the old record as the rest of it was mostly a bonus. Now I want to get up to 100,000 decimal places, the world record is 70,030 decimal places, says Jonas.



Memory World Champion

Jonas, his short career despite already two-time memory champion. World Championships have been held since 1991 and consists of ten events where the approximately 300 participants compete. The trick to learning as many digits in the result is, believe it or not, image.

– It may sound boring, but for me it’s like I do not memorize a single digit. I replace the figures in the pictures. Each three-digit number will be a picture. Since I memorize the images. When I read the numbers are what I go for a walk and see the pictures in front of me. It becomes more like a long, disjointed film.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment